Voices Amplified Fundraiser: Panel Discussion
Time & Location
About The Event
We're celebrating and recognizing how the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)--and similar policies around the world--has helped give people with disabilities the chance to share their stories, their experiences, their voices, and thrive over the last 30 years.
Our panel discussion will focus on the positive changes we've experienced in the recent years, along with forward-thinking discussion about what can and should happen next to continue improving the lives of people with disabilities.
Meet our panelists:
Co-founder and Director of Zebedee Specialist Talent Agency
- Zebedee is a specialist talent agency created to increase the representation of people who have until now been excluded in the media, including people with disabilities or alternative appearances and trans/non binary. Established in 2017, Zebedee looks after over 500 models and actors worldwide with a variety of needs. Laura and Zoe, Zebedee co-founders (and sisters-in-law!) are no strangers to working with underrepresented groups and the media. Laura is a qualified social worker, and Zoe is a model and qualified performing arts teacher for people with disabilities. “We were talking about opportunities (or lack of) for disabled people in the media…and it was just a lightbulb moment: if no one is out representing people with disabilities or differences, then why don’t we do it?!”
Sharon M. Malley, Ed D
Special education consultant, President of Columbia Pike Artist Studios
- Dr. Sharon Malley’s career in the field of disabilities spans over 30 years, with degrees, licensure, practice, teaching, research, non-profit leadership, consulting, and staff development in special education, therapeutic recreation, and art education, and with particular expertise in developmental disabilities. She has authored, co-authored and edited peer reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and books. She has led workshops for teachers and presented her research and other topics at conferences nationally and internationally. She led the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts special education team contributing to development of National Core Arts Standards, and wrote “Students with Disabilities and the Core Arts Standards: Guiding Principles for Teachers.” Her most recent publication is “The Handbook of Arts Education and Special Education: Policy, Research, and Practices”, co-edited with Jean B. Crockett. She currently serves as a professional advisor to non-profit organizations, with services including staff development in special education and arts education.
Associate Producer at The Chicago Lighthouse's Media Center
- Sandy Murillo is an associate producer at The Chicago Lighthouse, a world-renowned social service organization empowering the blind, visually impaired, disabled, and Veteran communities. There, she manages the daily operations of CRIS Radio, a radio station providing readings of newspapers and magazines for people with print disabilities. Sandy is also the author of Sandy’s View, a blog covering topics of interest and concern to people who have disabilities. The blog can be found at http://www.tinyurl.com/sandysview. Sandy has over five years of experience as a journalist and public speaker, with a special interest in discussing topics such as disability awareness and assistive technology. Her interest in disability awareness and advocacy has a personal and important meaning, as Sandy has been totally blind since early childhood.
Panel will be moderated by Sonya Soroko, President of Project Onward's Auxiliary Board.
How to join the discussion?
We'll send a link to join via Zoom closer to the event. Keep an eye out for the email!
Can't make this time?
No problem! We will record our panel discussion, and share with all ticketholders to view at another time.
Have a question you'd like to ask the panelists?
If you are joining live, we'll have time for attendee questions at the end of the discussion.
All proceeds from this event benefit Project Onward.
- A helpful donation$1$10$0
- A kind donation$5$50$0
- A generous donation$15$150$0
- An incredible donation$100$1000$0